TA Grade 1
Conditions of Service: NJC for Local Government Services
Point Range: 1 - 4
To support the ethos of the school and work supportively with the classroom teacher in their responsibility for the development and education process by providing care and supervision skills to children, including those who have special physical, emotional and educational needs, by utilising a good standard of practical knowledge and skills.
OUTLINE RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Under the direction and control of the classroom teacher or Lead Teaching Assistant:
- Your primary duty will be to support your teacher and your Lead Teaching Assistant to deliver and organise the learning for pupils in your class.
- Ensure that pupils are supported in their learning and care as needed but also ensuring that their independence and general development is also supported.
- Work with individuals, small groups and the whole class on occasion (either in class, in the wider school environment or off site).
- Have an understanding of the curriculum, the assessment framework and the next steps (short and longer term) for each individual pupil.
- Take a collective responsibility to ensure that risks are identified and managed and that the pupils are cared for both in terms of wellbeing and physically.
- Support with the location/creation of resources and learning materials including individual resources and materials.
- In liaison with class teacher and Lead Teaching Assistant, assess and record pupils work and progress.
- Contribute to class discussion on progress, behaviour, and identification of issues and hazards etc.
- Use I.C.T to support children’s learning.
- Support communication by the use of alternative and augmentative systems.
- Join a group of other TAs who have responsibility for a communal activity or part of the school ( e.g. for hydro pool, literacy , structured learning)
- Liaise with external agencies and professionals during visits to class and when observing pupils.
To see the full job description please see relevant documents.